Saturday, October 15, 2011

*ahem* Sorry...

...it's been a long...long time.
This summer was a crazy one--I started selling some of the things that I make, so between making stuff for the local market, working and actually being at the market, I didn't have a lot of time. I also took on the responsibility of starting up a blog for the market, since it doesn't have a website. (I know, me, the irresponsible blogger).
My table at the market on the first week--it was pretty bare. It has filled out a lot since then!
If you are wondering what's on the table: string bags (my own design), snack bags (based on a tutorial
 from i have to say...--with permissions, of course--and produce bags (my own design). That was all
on the first week!
In the background of the picture, you can see my new ride--the black bike with the awesome yellow panier bag. Yep, I rode my bike to the market. This market sets up the tables and tents for  you, so all I had to do was bring my wares and everything. When I got more product, it started to get a little tight fitting it all on there. I now have front and back racks (so I can fit a total of 4 panier bags), and a basket. I still only have the two panier bags, but I'm thinking ahead! (Next summer: more stuff!)
Other than that, my summer was filled with visiting and emergencies and camping and that sort of fun stuff. I didn't do near as much as I wanted to this summer, but I always overplan (apparently I am under the delusion that summers last all year in Canada!)




Camping was unexpected--my sister and I have been going to Algonquin Park with my Dad...well, probably since we can remember. We went with both parents when they were together, but usually just Dad once they split up and we were all old enough to do into the Interior of the park (my dad= bravest man in the world, taking three girls 13 or under out into the wilderness in a canoe).


This year, however, the reservation system was a joke. We ended up getting kicked off our campsite on the Saturday. After some crazed searching for alternative campgrounds (this whole site fiasco didn't only just happen to us, and we were far from the worst story!), we finally found one with space still available. It actually ended up being an amazing experience. The family who runs the campground--All Star Resort in Madawaska--is super friendly. They told us about some falls we should visit, so Sunday was a canoe trip down the Madawaska River to the falls pictured above.


Beautiful, isn't it? The canoe trip is every bit as pretty as the falls (the river picture was on the way back). The coolest thing though: the rocks are smoothed from the water, so you can use the falls as a giant waterslide! The water in front is super deep, with large rocks here and there that are just deep enough that you can stand on them with your head above water.
(Unfortunately there were some losers there who thought it was cool to throw beer cars down the falls--no consideration for the natural integrity of the area, nor the people who use it. Truly, some people need a kick. We ended up picking up beer cans all the way back up the Madawaska.)

                           

Finally, here's a picture of Dora, making a tiny house out of my panier bag. She loves my stuff. Or, loves to be on top of or inside of it. :)

1 comment:

  1. That waterfall is amazing!!

    Love the picture of your cat! I love how curious they are! : )

    ReplyDelete